Dream Theater Tours Europe with Solaris Flares
- Created on Thursday, 23 February 2017 12:48
- Written by TMB
Dream Theater is once again bringing their progressive metal sound to Europe. The first leg of their Images, Words & Beyond tour closes in Helsinki this month. They will resume in April in the UK and close in Vienna in May. Keeping pace with the fiery brilliance of the band’s veteran metal shredders are eight blazing Solaris Flares.
“On this tour we’re using the Flares for overhead wash and strobe effects,” says tour Lighting Designer and Director, Steve Baird. “What I really like about Flares is their awesome power! They’re extremely bright and their multiple functions make them ultra-versatile. We’re using the Flares in full advanced mode and they’ve been rock solid performers. We haven’t had to replace a single unit thus far.”
Baird adds, “Jon Greaves and Andy Scott at Lite Alt recommended the Flares to us last year and we were more than pleased. This year we knew what we were getting and we plan to use them again and again.”
TMB Celebrates the Life of Tommy Stephenson, 1963-2017
- Created on Tuesday, 21 February 2017 12:48
- Written by TMB
On the day of his passing, TMB fondly remembers our first employee, Tommy Stephenson, the loudest man in show business.
After a record breaking stint as Personal for Greg Lake (of ELP fame) Tommy joined TMB around 1984 (who kept track in those days?). He transformed the fledgling organization from Two Men in a Bedroom to Three Men and a Dog. Tommy’s primary role then was, and always remained, Confusion Analyst, but his early duties also included cable coiler, driver, shipping/receiving expert, and ace booth builder (specializing in the afternoon shift). Later, in the spare time between his ongoing confusion analysis, he grew to become TMB’s Sales Manager. His heavy focus on confusion was the origin of TMB’s famous Rule Three: “Do Not Believe A Word Tommy Tells You.” In 2013 Tommy sadly retired from TMB for health reasons.
Tommy was infamous for not listening – ever! Known far and wide as “Large and Loud,” his blustery voice carried like a foghorn, irrespective of the environment or situation, or the choice language he was also known for. A demure patron in a London Indian restaurant put it succinctly: “I want to thank you for sharing your entire evening with the entire restaurant. You sir, are an a***hole.” Once, during one of many long flights over the Pacific, a passenger asked Tommy’s frequent and long-suffering travel companion, Colin Waters, “Does your friend know his voice projects really far?” It is almost impossible to believe that voice is now silent.
TMB’s Grant Dunn Accepts Position at Electrosonic, Inc.
- Created on Monday, 20 February 2017 12:48
- Written by TMB
Four years ago, in his final year of graduate studies at Cal Arts, Grant Dunn signed on as an intern with TMB’s Tech Support Department, specializing in video server support and programming. Since that time, Grant the Renaissance Man became a full-time TMB employee and has since served many valuable functions at TMB, from Video Editor, to Tech Support, to Event Management, and most recently, Sales/Customer Development, calling on and helping TMB’s customers throughout the Western US.
- New Linear Flare Fixtures Blast NBC’s World of Dance
- Solaris Flare IP Lights Sculpture Sur la Mer
- Solaris Flare Q+ LR Makes Concert Debut on The Weeknd World Tour
- Solaris Mozarts join Wonderama on TV
- Solaris SoLED – “That’s Our Strobe” says 44 Designs
- Intelligent Marquee Systems Featured at Historic Masonic Theatre in Virginia
- Firefly FloppyFlex on Stage – Five Guys Named Moe
- Solaris Flares on Flume World Tour
- Jim James Tour Features Solaris Mozarts
- Solaris Mozarts the Centerpiece for James Vincent McMorrow Tour
- Solaris Flares Light Up The Stage at 2016 iHeartRadio Music Festival
- TMB Set to Debut New and Innovative Technology at LDI 2016